Re: my framework compile vs run time confusion...

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 16:27:41 EDT

    > connector, and something in my clean install on Leopard Client seed
    > is causing these drivers not to be located by EO Modeller when I
    > fire it up.
    Not sure what you mean by "causing the drivers to not be located" ...
    What are you seeing that implies it can't find them? There's really
    very little in Entity Modeler that depends on your JDBC drivers and
    plugins -- basically reverse engineering and SQL generation (neither
    of which is probably all that interesting to you with LDAP). Note you
    DO need to add the JavaJNDIAdaptor framework to your project (or
    whatever database plugins your app depends on).

    > I assume that this is why my attempt to replicate Mike's ldap
    > connection panel fails to enable to my Make Config Active button
    > (png attached).
    "Make Config Active" is grayed out because there is only one database
    config in your model which is, by definition, then the active one
    (active config is bold in the tree).

    > I think that I need to know
    > a) Where are the compile time and the runtime(**) classpaths set?
    compile time = Project=>Configure Build Path=> project, libraries, etc
    runtime = "WO Frameworks" library under Project=>"Configure Build
    Path", Libraries tab + however you have your ant build.xml setup

    > b) How can I set/change them?
    Add dependent projects to the Projects tab, add dependent frameworks
    to the WO Frameworks library list, etc I'm almost positive there is a
    wiki tutorial on all of this -- have you read that yet?

    > c) Where are 3rd party jars (like the ODBC driver) located at
    > compile time.
    JDBC drivers are typically put into /Library/Java/Extensions, but
    these are an exception -- almost NOTHING else should go in there.
    Other dependent jars go wherever you want them to go. If you're using
    Project Wonder-style project templates, put them in Libraries and add
    them to your build path. They should be picked up at build time for
    deployment.

    > d) Will they be they copied into the runtime .woa so that it has no
    > external
    > dependencies? Or, does the deployment .woa have to run on a system
    > with the wo/3rd party jar frameworks already present. If so where do
    > they have to be located.
    Depends on your build.xml. If you are using Wonder project templates,
    then yes, for things inside the Libraries folder (meaning, JDBC
    drivers in /Library/Java/Extensions would not be bundled). I've never
    actually tried putting a JDBC jar inside the woa, but I BELIEVE this
    should work.

    ms