Re: Ramblings on Build System

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2007 - 09:52:54 EST

    > I understand the problem and the solution, but I think that providing
    > the ability to order entries on the classpath is a quick hack around a
    > problem that goes far deeper -- properly solving the problem means
    > that
    > you need to handle dependencies like OSGi does, or maybe the upcoming
    > Java module system (although I am not sure how that works in detail).
    I believe in the grand scheme you are absolutely right ... I think
    NSBundle is the source of a lot of confusing problems in WO because of
    this. However, I also think that possibly the only reason the problem
    of ordering exists is because of Project Wonder and that it does some
    dirty things overriding core framework classes. Does anyone have any
    other examples of CP ordering being an issue other than Wonder? I
    wonder (no pun intended :) ) if we can address this in an easier way
    and just define a " load framework first" option on frameworks. I
    think the only reason you need ordering is to make one (or more)
    frameworks come before the core. Beyond that, I think it really IS
    more like an OSGi bundle that does not overlap.

    ms