Re: Entity Modeler SQL generation trouble

From: Zak Burke (zdbw..artmouth.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2007 - 19:10:47 EST

    Chuck Hill wrote on 11/13/07 6:24 PM:

    >>> Oh right .. looking at that stack trace for 5 seconds:
    >>> at edu.dartmouth.dltg.pns.eos.SourceDnd.sourceDndById(SourceDnd.java:45)
    >>> at edu.dartmouth.dltg.pns.eos.SourceDnd.<clinit>(SourceDnd.java:20)
    >>> You're doing EOF stuff in a static initializer. This is just a bad
    >>> idea. You should really do this kind of initialization after your
    >>> app loads
    >>
    >> Ah; that's good to know. ... How should I have known? This is the part
    >> of WO programming that sometimes drives me nuts: there's some Java
    >> pattern that is normal
    >
    > Fetching from a database in a static initializer is a normal Java
    > pattern? Uh, you sure about that?

    The "normal Java pattern" part was using static ivars as constants; the
    DB access is my own special sauce.

    So I guess it's me that drives me nuts, not WO. I really need to find a
    mid-level java overview book; not how-to-program, but how-things-work.
    I've never had occasion to learn much about the classloader, or how the
    JVM handle static initialization, but these are clearly things worth
    knowing about, since it was immediately obvious to you and Mike and Anjo
    exactly how I was abusing the language to shoot myself in the foot just
    so. Not that I expect a book to instantly enlighten me and keep me from
    posting stupid questions to every list I subscribe to, but it might help
    a little bit. Any recommendations?

    Thanks, as always, for correcting my course.

    zak.