Re: Entity Modeler SQL generation trouble

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2007 - 20:20:52 EST

    > The "normal Java pattern" part was using static ivars as constants;
    > the DB access is my own special sauce.
    >
    > So I guess it's me that drives me nuts, not WO. I really need to
    > find a mid-level java overview book; not how-to-program, but how-
    > things-work. I've never had occasion to learn much about the
    > classloader, or how the JVM handle static initialization, but these
    > are clearly things worth knowing about, since it was immediately
    > obvious to you and Mike and Anjo exactly how I was abusing the
    > language to shoot myself in the foot just so. Not that I expect a
    > book to instantly enlighten me and keep me from posting stupid
    > questions to every list I subscribe to, but it might help a little
    > bit. Any recommendations?
    To be perfectly honest, I consider these kind of things to be fringe
    concepts ... It's obvious to us because we wallow in the mud of EOF
    all the time, but there's really no book that will teach you these
    things. There's a certain amount of learning any framework that only
    comes from shooting yourself in the foot a few times. I think this is
    true of any framework, but especially of a very large application
    framework. If this isn't already an EOF commandment, it might be worth
    adding it, because you're certainly not the first person to have been
    screwed by this. However, I also don't think it's necessarily EOF's
    _fault_ -- there are some problems that are just nasty to solve, and
    the process of classloading is really a complex problem.

    ms