Re: Slurpage

From: Pierce T. Wetter III (pierc..winforces.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 17:21:38 EST

    On Nov 15, 2007, at 3:08 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >> I'd like the ability to generate code for individual attributes and
    >> relationships without having to regenerate the whole class file.
    >>
    >> In the context menu for a .java file, under source, you have
    >> options to override, implement and generate all sorts of things.
    >> I'd like to be able to genarate EO code from there - and of course
    >> from within the entity modeler.
    >>
    >> Don't feel I need an EOGenerator replacement at all.
    > You can log a request for this, but at the moment, EOGenerator is
    > the way code generation will work for the foreseeable future. It's
    > only regenerating "read only" classes, so this really should not be
    > a problem, and in fact more recent builds of the velocity generator
    > only rewrite _Files whose MD5 sums are different than what's already
    > on disk. The richness you can get out of code generation with
    > EOGenerator is just so much greater than what you would be able to
    > do with code generation in the editor, not to mention that you
    > really want standardized code generation across all of your
    > entities, which means you would be going into the editor and
    > generating code for each every time. One of the nice features of
    > the generation gap pattern is that you just don't have to think
    > about the problem of /** GENERATED CODE HERE DON'T EDIT **/ blocks
    > like in many of the other styles of generation.

    Personally, I'm happy with the whole "rebuild everything" model, so I
    agree in general but if Velocity supports "#include", this could be
    done by factoring the templates into stuff for an attribute and stuff
    for a relationship. i.e.:

    foreach attribute:
      include _attribute.java

    But that's probably over-engineering. About the only time I would ever
    use the "just build me one attribute worth of code" thing is when I
    want the "super classes implementation plus a little bit of salt".
    Probably not necessary really.

      Pierce