Re: Slurpage

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 17:26:04 EST

    On Nov 15, 2007, at 2:08 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >> I'd like the ability to generate code for individual attributes
    >> and relationships without having to regenerate the whole class file.
    >>
    >> In the context menu for a .java file, under source, you have
    >> options to override, implement and generate all sorts of things.
    >> I'd like to be able to genarate EO code from there - and of course
    >> from within the entity modeler.
    >>
    >> Don't feel I need an EOGenerator replacement at all.
    > You can log a request for this, but at the moment, EOGenerator is
    > the way code generation will work for the foreseeable future. It's
    > only regenerating "read only" classes, so this really should not be
    > a problem, and in fact more recent builds of the velocity generator
    > only rewrite _Files whose MD5 sums are different than what's
    > already on disk. The richness you can get out of code generation
    > with EOGenerator is just so much greater than what you would be
    > able to do with code generation in the editor, not to mention that
    > you really want standardized code generation across all of your
    > entities, which means you would be going into the editor and
    > generating code for each every time. One of the nice features of
    > the generation gap pattern is that you just don't have to think
    > about the problem of /** GENERATED CODE HERE DON'T EDIT **/ blocks
    > like in many of the other styles of generation.

    I also don't see any advantage (or any good) of being able to
    generate code from inside of a Java file. It might be useful to have
    the code generation inside of Entity Modeler though. Then changing
    an attribute name could refactor the Java code and regenerate. Of
    course, that makes having multiple eogenerator configurations
    problematic. Does anyone have more than one? Does JC need two?

    Chuck