Re: Java 6 Open Source Project for Mac OS X Leopard+

From: Jerry W. Walker (jerrywwalke..mail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 07:45:45 EST

    Hi, Quinton,

    On Nov 26, 2007, at 7:55 PM, Q wrote:

    > On 27/11/2007, at 10:01 AM, Jerry W. Walker wrote:
    >
    >> Are you guys following the recent announcements on the Apple Java-
    >> Dev by Landon Fuller and the discussion surrounding them?
    >>
    >> It's not yet time to push WO or Wonder to Java Version 6, but I'm
    >> amazed at his apparent rate of progress.
    >
    > Other than a minor speed boost, what Java 6 features are so
    > appealing from a WO perspective?

    Since you asked...

    For WO, I don't see a great many advantages going to Java 6. I think
    that there's NO advantage to going there yet. However, I'm a great
    fan of those who take action rather than stand around and whine. I'm
    particularly disenchanted with those who whine on the Java-Dev
    mailing list, having waded through innumerable such messages from the
    panicked and hysterical following Apple's pulling Java 6 preview with
    no indication of why, when or if it would follow up with its own
    release.

    However, as much as I dislike those messages in that forum, I also
    dislike Apple's cone of silence around developer products. Apple (or
    Steve Jobs) has proven the value of releasing news on its schedule
    for consumer products. Doing so certainly enhances the PR at the
    appropriate time for product success. I don't think the same can be
    said of remaining silent on corporate plans for releasing developer
    products. We've all suffered from this in the WO market place. Apple
    is the only large computer company I know of who does this and most
    people in the enterprise market dislike the practice enough to shun
    Apple and its products in that arena.

    Despite that, I understand that a large number of Java developers
    have gravitated to Apple laptops as reported from the last Sun World
    conference. Many of these people have to stay fairly current with
    Java releases and they're justifiably displeased at Apple's silence
    on the issue, having made a personal investment in Apple's products,
    based on Steve Jobs own announcement that he would make the Mac the
    best Java support platform and, to a larger degree, his fulfillment
    of that promise to date.

    I had earlier read the timeline referenced by Alex Cone (not to be
    confused with Apple's cone of silence :-) ). Like most, I'm fairly
    confident that Apple will release Java 6 soon, but unless you work at
    Apple and happen to know someone in the management team or the Java
    development group who's willing to share, you don't really know that
    they will. Even then, given Steve Jobs legendarily arbitrary nature,
    you're only working with a high confidence interval.

    Meanwhile, it was delightful to see Landon Fuller grab the reins of
    open sourcing Java on the Mac and start running hard. Unless this
    effort causes Apple to drop Java support altogether, I think it's a
    very healthy alternative to Apple's cone of silence and the general
    Java market response to it.

    Given that a large number of people on this mailing list are of a
    similar action oriented vs. whining nature. I thought I would mention
    Landon's effort here in case you hadn't seen it. Enjoy.

    Having said all this, I admit to a mischievous sense of delight that
    Apple doesn't announce its developer product plans. I've too often
    worked in development teams where some clueless manager made an
    hysterically optimistic guess at a delivery date of some product on
    which I was working only to have that date carved into stone by the
    downstream groups who made plans around it. I've had too many
    holidays and personal plans destroyed by such managers in often
    futile efforts to meet those delivery date guesses. Apple's silence
    feels like a refreshing counter to that. But I'm sure I'm the only
    one on this list to have faced such idiocy. :-)

    Regards,
    Jerry

    --
    __ Jerry W. Walker,
        WebObjects Developer/Instructor for High Performance Industrial

    jerrywwalke..mail.com 203 278-4085 office