Re: EOGenerator vs. JavaGenerator vs. VelocityGenerator ?

From: Andrew R. Kinnie (akinni..ac.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2007 - 13:35:45 EST

    To chime in with my own related issues, what is the relevance of
    Velocity templates?

    Sorry, I have a WO app that I built in 2002 (not too complicated, used
    Openbase as a backend), and have occasionally done minor maintenance
    on, but other than that, I am starting this whole Eclipse/WOLips thing
    completely fresh and am looking for a way to refresh my skills now
    that I have 5.4 and Leopard. I plan to re-design the old app, and
    want to know where to start. Reading the list posts has basically
    just confused me as I previously wrote the app in Project Builder/
    Xcode, and used Apple's tools. I did the Eclipse tutorial for WO,
    which is fine, but I don't know where to find info on where to go from
    there. I've never used EOGenerator, and now, apparently have to use
    Apple's new Java version, as there is no EOModeler any more.

    Basically, I want to import my old Xcode project to Eclipse (however
    that is done) then be able to develop a newer, more modern version of
    it in WO 5.4.

    Is there a central repository for tutorials on all this stuff?
    If I just did everything according to the defaults (the basic Eclipse/
    WOLips install from the tutorial, with an install of the Wonder
    frameworks), what else should I be doing?

    Thanks.

    On Nov 30, 2007, at 1:21 PM, David Holt wrote:

    > Did you close your eyes? ;-)
    >
    > The original EOGenerator is not compatible with Leopard. There is a
    > java version that Apple has provided <http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/JavaEOGenerator/index.html
    > >, but the default EntityModeler in WOLips uses is Velocity
    > templates I believe. The last thing I remember reading is that if
    > you DON'T put a path to the Java version of EOGenerator in your
    > WOLips preferences, the Velocity templates are used instead.
    >
    > David
    >
    > On 30-Nov-07, at 8:35 AM, James Cicenia wrote:
    >
    >> OK -
    >>
    >> I finally had to modify a model. I have used EOGenerator with great
    >> success for years now.
    >>
    >> Now after reading the list I am a bit confused. Can I still use it?
    >> Should I? I followed the wike on EOGenerator and
    >> it doesn't seem to work for me.
    >>
    >> What are people doing now?
    >>
    >> Is EOGenerator not compatible with Leopard?
    >>
    >> FINALLY, why don't I see my posts anymore on this or the webobjects
    >> list? What the heck did I or Leopard do?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> James Cicenia

    there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand
    binary and those who don't