Re: Stand Alone Modeller

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 19:12:03 EST

    > Could you include me in the joke? what is the issue?
    This is totally an issue with Entity Modeler -- EOF is fine here .. I
    just need my UI behavior to match EOF's. Basically what is going on
    is that EM has worked fine, but iTMS would prefer (and it's a
    reasonable request) that switching to EM should not cause all the
    plist files to get munged around (even though they would end up "the
    same" from a runtime perspective, they all look like they were
    modified). So they submitted a patch to Entity Modeler that went
    through and tweaked the entire plist writing process (and setting of
    values that drive the plists) to 100% match EOModeler -- A pain-in-the-
    ass job that was really cool of them to do. However, it turns out
    that there is an issue with the way specifically allowsNull was being
    handled. Essentially, almost everything in EOF I think defaults to
    non-existence = "no", whereas it SEEMS to look like non-existence of
    allowsNull = "yes" (I haven't confirmed this yet). So I rolled back
    those particular changes (just to the allowsnull part) which I think
    fixed things, but in exchange for no longer matching output formats
    exactly.

    I'm in the position at the moment where I just have to create some
    sample models with each of the variations of:

    * prototype allowsNull = yes, attribute allowsNull = yes
    * prototype allowsNull = yes, attribute allowsNull = no
    * prototype allowsNull = no, attribute allowsNull = yes
    * prototype allowsNull = no, attribute allowsNull = no
    * prototype not set, attribute allowsNull = yes
    * prototype not set, attribute allowsNull = no

    ... and see what EOModeler writes into the plist for each scenario.

    ms