Re: encoding warnings

From: David Holt (programmingos..ac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 13:08:28 EST

    Hello all,

    Here is the entry I have just made about default encoding on the wiki:

    Creating a new WO Application/WOnder application project in today's
    version of WOLips generates the following warning:

    WOO Encoding type UTF-8 doesn't match component MacRoman (Main.woo)

    Changing the encoding type in the .woo and in the .html file manually
    does not get rid of the warning. There are a couple of ways to go
    about this:

    Change the encoding for your entire Workbench

    In Eclipse, go to Preferences>General>Workspace and select UTF-8 as
    the Text File Encoding. This should set the encoding for all the
    resources in your workspace. Any components you create from now on
    using the default encoding should all match.

    – Note from Eclipse help about text encoding –

    "Given the ability to use the platform in a networked team
    environment, it's certainly possible that users will want to work
    with text files that use a different encoding scheme than their
    native encoding scheme so that they can easily interchange files with
    another team. For this reason, the workbench defines its own encoding
    profile that is specified by the user in the Preferences dialog.
    Users may choose from the available encoding choices in the General >
    Workspace preference page or type in their own encoding. Plug-ins
    that interpret text files, such as editors and builders, should
    consult the workbench encoding preference rather than assume that the
    installed operating system encoding is in use."

    Currently, creating a new project will generate the above warning in
    the Main component, but that can be fixed by doing the following:

    Change the encoding for a resource (project, folder or file)

    Right (or Control) click on the resource in the WO Package Explorer
    and select the Properties option at the bottom of the contextual
    menu. Go to Resource>Text File Encoding. You should see "Inherited
    from container (UTF-8)" if you've made the change above, otherwise it
    will be (MacRoman). Select Other - UTF-8 and Apply to make the
    warning go away.

    – Original note about this from Q –

    "It should now be possible to change the encoding type of a component
    using just the eclipse "Resource->Text file encoding" context menu on
    the component in the WO Package Explorer. This will automaticaly edit
    the woo file, or create one if necessary, and explicitly set the
    encoding type of the .html and .wod files. This process requires that
    you use a valid Java charset instead of the old NS* obj-c style
    charset name.

    This change also means that the encoding type of a component can be
    inherited from the parent folder. So you can manage the encoding type
    of all components within a folder by changing the default encoding
    type of the parent folder (assuming the contained components still
    inherit their encoding type, the default behaviour).

    The WOComponent creation wizard hasn't yet been updated to reflect
    these changes, so a newly created component will still be created the
    same as before, and may have warnings about the character encoding of
    the woo file not matching that of the component, this will change in
    the future."