Re: Upcoming Classpath Changes

From: Gavin Eadie (gavi..mich.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2008 - 12:46:44 EST

    I like these proposals .. I'll happily suffer a day of adjusting
    settings for a life of rationality!!

    An associated thought: WebObjects 5.4 not only introduced jar
    frameworks but: "At this point, JAR files are the preferred storage
    mechanism for NSBundles". Does this new convention impact Mike's
    suggestions ? In particular, when using these jar frameworks, are ALL
    frameworks (Apple's and local) deployed in /Library/WebObjects/lib/ ?

    On Jan 19, 2008, at 2:52 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    > I wanted to go over the new classpath system that will be coming in
    > sometime in the next few days, because it's a pretty huge change and
    > it **will require you to change your build scripts and possibly
    > modify your project build paths**.

        [...]

    > Solution #4 and #5 - Development vs Deployment and wobuild.properties
    > This will be one the big change for people. ~/Library/
    > wobuild.properties is now ~/Library/Application Support/WOLips/
    > wolips.properties (or equivalent on Windows). The keys in it are
    > now normalized naming and only contain the things that matter.
    > [...] I didn't actually touch this file, it was made automatically
    > with sane defaults.

        Hooray .. I've always hated that mechanism.
        My build.xml files determine those properties for themselves.

    > The other annoying thing that has plagued wolips ant building are
    > those ant.* files.

        Likewise !!