Re: Upcoming Classpath Changes

From: Alex Cone (ab..odefab.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2008 - 19:57:17 EST

    WOResourceManager should be able to find everything usually in a
    framework bundle inside a jar _file_. I'd love to see us move to file
    based frameworks (as opposed to bundle-based) as a universal default.
    Just jar up all the wo component files along with the classes, plists,
    Properties files etc. Would sure make everyone's life easier...

    On Jan 19, 2008, at 6:05 PM, Art Isbell wrote:

    > On Jan 19, 2008, at 7:46 AM, Gavin Eadie wrote:
    >
    >> An associated thought: WebObjects 5.4 not only introduced jar
    >> frameworks
    >
    > I have jar frameworks on my WO 5.2 partition, so at least Apple-
    > provided jar frameworks have been available since at least WO 5.2.
    > I don't recall when Xcode builds first produced them, but it's been
    > a while.
    >
    >> but: "At this point, JAR files are the preferred storage mechanism
    >> for NSBundles". Does this new convention impact Mike's
    >> suggestions ? In particular, when using these jar frameworks, are
    >> ALL frameworks (Apple's and local) deployed in /Library/WebObjects/
    >> lib/ ?
    >
    > Xcode 2.4 (WO 5.3) by default deploys jar frameworks in /Library/
    > WebObjects/lib, but I don't know whether earlier versions do or
    > whether woproject does.
    >
    > My point is that any change to use jar rather than directory
    > frameworks should work with WO versions earlier than 5.4.
    >
    > Aloha,
    > Art

    __alex cone
             ceo c o d e f a b llc
             ab..odefab.com
             212.465.8484 x101
             http://www.codefab.com

    If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.