Component Editor Enhancement for inline bindings display

From: Ricardo Parada (rparad..ac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2008 - 23:16:43 EST

    Hello all,

    I have a request for enhancement to all the great developers behind
    WOLips. :-)

    I know we have an outline view, which is nice. But I'm still gonna
    ask for this as I think it would be nice.

    When using inline bindings it seems nice (at first) to have everything
    in the html side when using inline bindings because you only worry
    about one file.

    However, things in the html start looking messy because of all the
    bindings. So I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have the
    component editor display the html with the wo tags without their
    bindings just so that I can quickly understand what's going on. For
    example, let's suppose I have something like this in my html:

    <wo:WOPopUpButton name="StatePopUp" id="statePopUp" list=[states]
    item=[aState] selection=[selectedState] displayString=[aState.name] />
    <wo:AjaxElementObserver name="StatePopUpObserver"
    observedElementID="statePopUp"
    updateContainerID="cityUpdateContainer" />

    <wo:AjaxUpdateContainer name="CityUpdateContainer"
    id="cityUpdateContainer" >
    <wo:WOPopUpButton name="CityPopUp" id="cityPopUp"
    list=[selectedState.cities] item=[aCity] selection=[selectedCity]
    displayString=[aCity.name] />
    </wo:AjaxUpdateContainer>

    Wouldn't it be nice to be able to view that as follows instead:

    <wo:StatePopUp />
    <wo:StatePopUpObserver />

    <wo:CityUpdateContainer>
            <wo:CityPopUp />
    </wo:CityUpdateContainer>

    It's so much easier to understand and more compact. Then if you hover
    a component, i.e. StatePopUp it would be nice if it would display the
    bindings like this or something similar:

    StatePopUp : WOPopUpButton {
            id = "statePopUp";
            list = states;
            item = aState;
            selection = selectedState;
            displayString = aState.name;
    }

    Anyways, just thinking out loud. That's something I'd love to see.
    Noticed I used the name binding even though that's no longer required
    for inline bindings. So if the name binding is not specified then it
    could display the class like this:

    <wo:WOPopUpButton />
    <wo:AjaxElementObserver />

    <wo:AjaxUpdateContainer>
            <wo:WOPopUpButton />
    </wo:AjaxUpdateContainer>

    BTW, am I posting to the correct mailing list? :-)