Re: WOLips.framework

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 23:33:19 EST

    > To fully utilize WOLips.framework, you must add support for click-to-
    > open
    To clarify a bit about what is going on here -- Any component that
    implements click-to-open (i.e. extends ERXComponent or your equivalent
    of it) get processed during appendToResponse. The first tag (with the
    assumption that it's the container, but this can sometimes be
    wrong ..... but oh well :) ) for each component will get modified and
    it will get a _componentName = "your.component.NameHere" injected into
    the tag. I considered wrapping with a new div or span, but that can
    muck with CSS and would break on repetitions of <tr>'s. The downside
    of this is that it does a lot of String munging of your response
    strings, which can be expensive, but it's development-mode only,
    so ... bah... buy a MacBook Pro :).

    At this point, you now have annotated HTML generated with component
    names attached to HTML tags.

    When you use the WOLToolBar (specifically WOLClickToOpen), it's
    basically navigating your DOM as you move around, building a stack of
    components that you are using from the rendered HTML annotations
    (which is what you're seeing at the bottom when it's in Click to Open
    mode). When you click on a point on the page, it opens the component
    at the bottom of the stack in WOLips by opening special URL into the
    WOLips Server (http://localhost:9485/openComponent?app=YourApp&component=TheComponentYouRolledOver&pw=yourpassword
    ).

    WOLips Server is a tiny HTTP server (that I had written several years
    ago as part of project for Rio -- it's not great, but it's really tiny
    and I already had it, so I just blew the dust off and put it in).

    Right now openComponent and refresh are the only commands you can
    issue to WOLips Server. Refresh is added to support external tools
    that modify files in a project, so they can tell Eclipse to refresh
    the project on-demand rather than wait for the polling refresh to
    occur. Rule Modeler supports this feature, actually. If your WOLips
    server is enabled, you can go into Rule Modeler prefs and setup the
    settings for WOLips Server, so that any time you save the D2W model it
    will auto-refresh Eclipse.

    ms