Re: WOLips Velocity Engine

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 11:43:31 EST

    > Is the Velocity engine in WOLips accessible, possibly via Ant?
    >
    > Here's what I'm trying to do: I am working on a Java Client project
    > where the client-side classes have several methods that are exactly
    > the same as the server-side version (Validation, Defaults, etc) and
    > I don't want to maintain them in two places, and using a common
    > subclass for both is not viable because I have to have the client-
    > side and server-side classes need to extend different superclasses.
    >
    > So that leaves me with either duplicating code (and bugs) and
    > dealing with keeping them in sync, or figuring out a way to have the
    > methods automatically synced. This is where velocity comes in.
    >
    > I'd like to flag each "common" method as needing to be copied to the
    > client-side class and then have a Velocity template that would read
    > them out of the server-side and copy them into the client-side
    > _Entity class. I would want to execute this step following any
    > EOGeneration of my client-side .eotemplate files.
    >
    > Again, the end goal is to maintain "common" methods in one location
    > and have them automatically propagated as part of a build.
    It's not accessible from ant, you'd have to wrap it in an ant task or
    something if you want to do that.

    However, you can have multiple .eogen files for a single model -- you
    could maybe create a server.eogen and a client.eogen that use
    different templates to do what it is you're trying to do (which I'm
    not sure I exactly follow). Are these common things you're copying
    generated, or are you writing common methods that they share? Do
    server and client share a single _Parent? Can you set this up with
    inheritance hierarchy like the current eogen files do, just
    introducing a third inheritance level with your own custom templates?

    ms