Re: Entity Modeler and embedded derby

From: Barši Einarsson (bardi..s.is)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 09:18:09 EST

    To: woproject-de..bjectstyle.org

    Re: Entity Modeler and embedded derby

    -- => from my initial post

    -- How is it done?
    Still don't know.

    -- I am trying to use Entity Modeler in the SophisticatedDatabaseExample.
    Quit trying to use the SophisticatedDatabaseExample.
    (If it had been my first experience with WebObjects, the MacBook Pro
    would have flown out the window. I am not joking.)

    -- What is Entity Modeler's classpath?
    (does it see these?:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaJDBCAdaptor
    .framework/Resources/Java/javajdbcadaptor.jar
    /Library/WebObjects/Extensions/derby.jar
    /Library/WebObjects/Extensions/derbyclient.jar)
    In my own apps, I can dynamically dump out the classpath.
    Entity Modeler uses ...?
    What classloaders does it use?

    -- Where should derby.jar be?
    I am refering to the Entity Modeler's classpath.
    (derby.jar contains org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver)

    -- Where should javajdbcadaptor.jar be?
    I am refering to the Entity Modeler's classpath.
    (javajdbcadaptor.jar contains
    com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.DerbyPlugIn)

    -- Where do I set the derby.system.home property?
    I need to feed -Dderby.system.home=<location of derby.log>
    to the vm running Derby, which is the vm running
    Entity Modeler, or make some pathological jdbc url starting
    from Entity Modeler's current directory at the time Derby
    reads the property.

    -- Do I need to specify the DerbyPlugIn?
    com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.DerbyPlugIn
    (the class contains
    private static final String DriverClassName =
    "org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver")
    My attempts to use it with networked Derby failed.

    So, let's see. I can't use networked Derby, since the
    DerbyPlugIn won't work. I can't use Entity Modeler because
    I can't tell embedded Derby how to find its database.

    Then there are other issues:

    I. Can I use Derby 10.3.2.1?
    II. Can I use the Eclipse Derby plugin with WOLips?

    III. How do I shutdown embedded Derby and (?)
    (jdbc:derby:<somedb>;shutdown=true)
    how do I restart embedded Derby?
    A. using Entity Modeler
    B. using the DerbyPlugIn
    C. using EOF

    I know how to use Derby.
    I don't know how to use it with WebObjects, EOF, and
    WOLips.

    Is there any known working configuration?

    Bardi Einarsson