Derby and WOLips

From: Barši Einarsson (bardi..s.is)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 10:52:03 EST

    Derby and WOLips

    It looks like that anything to do with WebObjects, EOF
    should first and foremost work with Derby.

    Otherwise, Apple should deliver FrontBase examples, not Derby
    examples.

    As things stand, a new user of WebObjects is very likely to use
    Derby as the first database.

    De facto, Derby is WebObjects' default database:

    see: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=72598
    for WebObjects 5.4
    Databases supported, qualified
    FrontBase 4.7
    Derby 10.2.2.0

    Derby 10.2.2.0 comes with WebObjects:
    /Library/WebObjects/Extensions/derby.jar
    /Library/WebObjects/Extensions/derbyclient.jar

    com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.DerbyPlugIn
    /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaJDBCAdaptor
    .framework/Resources/Java/javajdbcadaptor.jar

    /Developer/Examples/JavaWebObjects/SophisticatedDatabaseExample
    allegedly uses Derby (as do many other examples)

    Derby comes with Java 1.6 (as JavaDB)

    Re: FrontBase
    I have used FrontBase a bit. And everything I have heard says
    it works fine. But it is closed source and requires messing around
    with a license key.

    My primary intention in using Derby is as a test database. Each developer
    has as many embedded Derby db's as he likes ... Should work well
    for automated testing or (servers are easier??) ...

    Bardi Einarsson