Re: Derby and WOLips

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 14:43:21 EST

    On Feb 28, 2008, at 7:52 AM, Barši Einarsson wrote:

    > Derby and WOLips
    >
    > It looks like that anything to do with WebObjects, EOF
    > should first and foremost work with Derby.

    That seems like a rather grand assumption for a newly integrated and
    untested database. I am not away of _anyone_ using Derby besides
    yourself. I think that Apple's sole intention was to make the
    examples _run_ as easily as possible without requiring more software
    to be downloaded and installed.

    > Otherwise, Apple should deliver FrontBase examples, not Derby
    > examples.

    That sounds like an Apple issue, not a WOLips issue. The previous
    versions delivered OpenBase examples. Talk to webobject..pple.com.

    > As things stand, a new user of WebObjects is very likely to use
    > Derby as the first database.

    So far, only you. :-)

    > De facto, Derby is WebObjects' default database:
    >
    > see: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=72598
    > for WebObjects 5.4
    > Databases supported, qualified
    > FrontBase 4.7
    > Derby 10.2.2.0
    >
    > Derby 10.2.2.0 comes with WebObjects:
    > /Library/WebObjects/Extensions/derby.jar
    > /Library/WebObjects/Extensions/derbyclient.jar
    >
    > com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.DerbyPlugIn
    > /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaJDBCAdaptor
    > .framework/Resources/Java/javajdbcadaptor.jar
    >
    > /Developer/Examples/JavaWebObjects/SophisticatedDatabaseExample
    > allegedly uses Derby (as do many other examples)
    >
    > Derby comes with Java 1.6 (as JavaDB)
    >
    > Re: FrontBase
    > I have used FrontBase a bit. And everything I have heard says
    > it works fine. But it is closed source and requires messing around
    > with a license key.

    Which, compared to your messing about with Derby is looking pretty
    damn simple right now...

    > My primary intention in using Derby is as a test database. Each
    > developer
    > has as many embedded Derby db's as he likes ... Should work well
    > for automated testing or (servers are easier??) ...

    Well, that leaves you out, ahead, and alone. I don't see this as a
    WOLips issue. If Derby is too hard to use, tell Apple that they made
    a bad choice. Otherwise, don't expect it to be easy, figure it out,
    and document it so that others can make use of what you learned.

    Chuck