Re: WOLips 3.3 Stable

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Fri Feb 29 2008 - 18:16:42 EST

    >> Someone would step in and at least maintain it.
    >
    > I am not sure it is the kind of business where you can simply use
    > tools which do not evolve. And to keep a certain feeling of
    > enthousiasm and pleasure to work, you need to rely on evolving
    > technology, don't you think? When I come to the office in the
    > morning (no longer full time teacher, I am now half teacher, half
    > developper), I tell the poor chaps who were once WO programmers:
    > "Want to see Mike Schrag's last inventions?". They gather around my
    > computer, watch silently, then go back to their desk, with a smile
    > on their face, wispering "this guy is umbelievable". This is our
    > "Agile programming with Mike Schrag daily SCRUM" method, somewhere
    > in the South... of France.
    Wow .. Big ego day. However, if it wasn't me, it would be someone
    else. Ulrich was working his butt off on WOLips years before I came
    around, and if I get hit by a bus, not only would he (and Q, Anjo, the
    Apple guys, etc) keep going, but they'll be other people who come
    along and get excited about it. Heck, Q just showed up out of a dark
    corner and dropped the WOO editor on us.

    WO just continues to be compelling ... Irrelevant technologies die,
    but WO has staying power because WO continues be relevant. That's a
    huge tip of the hat to the original architects of WO that even with
    very little forward momentum, it can STILL be competitive with the
    latest and greatest J2EE and Rails offerings. I often look around and
    wonder what I would switch to now that I consider myself to be so
    spoiled, and there are certainly alternatives, and those alternatives
    continue to approach WO, but WO brings such a great balance across the
    entire architectural stack that it's very hard to point to one
    technology that can adequately replace it. I made a similar comment
    recently to one of the developers of WOB, that even though I'm not a
    fan of the WOB workflow and I can point to particular elements of it
    that we can do better, it says something about the technology that it
    still doesn't really have a replacement that fully does what it did.
    Maybe we'll get there, who knows. But WO is just like that. As we've
    gone around and done WO training and talked with people, I've come
    across many current and past WO developers, and I don't know that I've
    ever heard someone who has seriously used WO that didn't have good
    things to say and wish they were still doing it.

    OK .. I'm done :)

    ms