Re: release preference

From: David LeBer (dlebe..odeferous.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2008 - 11:33:18 EST

    On 1-Mar-08, at 11:19 AM, Ken Anderson wrote:

    > How about Stable, Forward, and Nightly ?

    I guess you missed this post:

    On 29-Feb-08, at 4:32 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >> Apologies... stable.equals(nightly), stable != nightly. So yes, at
    >> this instant (well not anymore, because i committed to nightly
    >> already), stable is the same as nightly, but stable is stable, and
    >> will be for a while. Stable was stable for 8 months before this,
    >> it's just that Leopard sort of ruined messed everything up.
    > I'm thinking there should be a "stable," "preview," and "nightly"
    > build. "stable" would be where everyone who just likes things to
    > "work the work they work" can use. People who like cool new
    > features, but don't want TOTALLY broken stuff can update off of
    > "preview," and "nightly" is like dudes chasing oiled pigs. This new
    > classpath stuff is a good example. I actually have mostly working
    > patches for a large part of it, so I can commit that to nightly, get
    > it integrated, promote it to preview for daring folks (who still
    > need to get work done) can update from and work with it. If there
    > are any issues, they can always go back down to stable, but I can
    > still continue to add riskier features on nightly.

    If this were a democracy, I'd vote to keep 'stable' as stable as
    possible to the 'risk adverse' out there, ie: only move show stopping
    bug fixes into it. Move all bug fixes (at least those that don't
    require extensive re-factoring ie: need lots of regression testing)
    into 'preview' and 'nightly' gets the "I'm sure this is going to break
    oddly for a while while we work on it" stuff.

    ;david

    --
    David LeBer
    Codeferous Software