Re: release preference

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2008 - 20:51:00 EST

    On 03/03/2008, at 10:11 AM, Anjo Krank wrote:

    > I wonder how you except this to work?

    Perhaps you'd like to direct your question at Mike. [1]

    > Not only we(*) have to write the code, but the more nightly
    > advances, the higher is the chance that you can't simply apply a
    > patch from the trunk to the stable version and still expect it to
    > actually do what it does there. Not only the compile could break,
    > but also someone needs to fully test it.

    I wondered how this would work also... but it /was/ Mike's proposal.

    > If it was me doing this, I'd only advance nightly and declare it
    > stable whenever I feel like it. Maybe disable features I don't know
    > if they work by properties or settings. Having to maintain more
    > than one version is just too much hassle.

    Which you've already noted previously.

    > Sure, having the pick between 3 versions is nice, but seriously, if
    > you're daring enough to pick "preview" you might as well pick a
    > nightly,

    That depends. We've already seen numerous examples of Mike holding
    things back even from nightly (e.g., classpath changes) when they
    would have a broader impact. This could free him up some more to not
    be so cautious and as such get a broader testing base for those who
    are willing.

    Again, Mike could perhaps explain his thinking on these things.

    > and if you find a show-stopping bug, report it. Last I looked the
    > response times to that where like 15 mins.
    >
    > You (**) don't seem to realize that this time will come out from
    > *somewhere* and it most likely be our actual jobs, new Ajax
    > features or new WOLips features.

    If providing 'ideas' to think on (whether perceived by some as pros
    or cons) should Mike choose to go with what's previously been
    suggested by /him/ somehow shows some lack of understanding on my
    part in your eyes, so be it.

    I'm not asking for this to be done... but should it happen, the ideas
    I provided could be one of the spin-off benefits.

    Perhaps at this point it would be better to ask Mike if he's got a
    clearer idea about what he proposed. But then again, maybe he's
    already gone ahead and done it as he's not one to sit around.

    > Am 02.03.2008 um 04:24 schrieb Lachlan Deck:
    >
    >> On 01/03/2008, at 2:04 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is sort of what I'm leaning towards, too. But I don't know
    >>> if people expect "stable" to be "stagnant" :)
    >>
    >> Hmm, for me stable equals more reliable rather than stagnant.
    >>
    >> But if you are going for three streams (Nightly, Preview, Stable)
    >> rather than two (Nightly, Stable) then by nature Stable will/
    >> should only receive critical bug fixes. Preview, then, will be
    >> like beta releases previewing the next stable release... etc.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you'd want to think about locking of new features from
    >> Preview at certain times when aiming at pushing to Stable a new
    >> release so as to iron out any remaining bugs?

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck

    [1] This was /his/ proposal, which you even noted -- though you still seem to think it's somehow an idea /I/ need to explain and that somehow it shows some lack of understanding on my part about the facts of life.