Re: release preference

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 15:12:56 EST

    OK. Here's how it's going to work (for our build server -- you can
    obviously checkout and build whatever you want):

    For each major release, we will keep a site folder in the releases
    folder under the corresponding build version #. For instance,

    http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/releases/4118
    is the previous stable build, runs on 3.2, etc

    http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/releases/4896
    is the build that just went stable when I made that announcement

    http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/releases/4906
    is the build that is RIGHT NOW marked stable -- I put this here,
    because I believe this should subsume 4896 if you installed
    immediately after launch day.

    OK. So that's previous releases. If you like a particular release,
    just point your new people to one of these "milestone" folders and
    you're good to go. They will never change. Note that we also provide
    tar files of just about every build in the releases folder that you
    can download to provide a local update site if you want. The
    milestone release folders untar'd is just a convenience and identical
    to what is available in the releases folder.

    This brings us to "stable". Stable on our build server will now
    represent the most current commit that we believe is stable. This
    WILL change. If you work in an organization where you don't have to
    lock down on a specific version, but you always want to stay up-to-
    date with what we think you should be using, point to the stable build:
    http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/stable

    Stable is currently not a branch, it's a trunk version. That means
    that right now, if wolips is unstable in nightly, there won't be ANY
    stable updates until the trunk is stabilized. Branching is just a big
    pain, and unless someone wants to step up and be a branch manager
    (including being willing to retest changes that you bring over --
    untested partial patch merges are not going to fly), then this is how
    it will be. So for instance, just now I committed the new EOQualifier
    parser in Entity Modeler. Until I get some reports back on it, stable
    is locked at 4906.

    And last, but not least, everyone's favorite "nightly". Nightly is
    what is has always been ... It's the latest commits.
    http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/nightly

    We make no guarantees (not that we make any on stable either, but we
    REALLY don't on nightly) about whether or not your components and
    models will be mangled, your house will catch on fire, or your dog
    will run away. All I will say that I run off nightly. It works well
    enough to let me do my job. If I stop using nightly, or if someone is
    about to commit something sketchy, we'll post about it.

    ms