Re: Generating additional Classes from an Entity with Velocity EOGenerator

From: John Huss (johnthus..mail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2008 - 10:36:39 EST

    This reason I'm interested in this is that I started playing with GWT
    (Google Web Toolkit). It is a similar model to Java Client in that the EOs
    need to be serialized and sent to the client. But the rules for
    serialization make difficult if not impossible to send a real EO, so for the
    moment I settled on creating a regular set of EO classes and additionally
    creating a set of "record" classes for the client which are just a bunch of
    public instance variables.

    What I would like to see is just some added flexibility in specifying the
    generated java filenames and paths, maybe like this:

    1) Ability to override the package directory structure to put the files in a
    different package (like a client and server package both having a _Entity
    and a Entity class)

    2) Ability to add a token to the file-name/class-name, like to have
    _ClientEntity and ClientEntity instead of just _Entity and Entity.
    I thought setting the Client Class Name in EM might do this, but changing
    the class name here doesn't change the file name.

    3) The .eogen file editor in WOLips could use some improvements in the
    descriptions for the options there and even some tooltips with more info.
    Right now the options there are really hard to interpret without just trying
    them to see what they do.

    John

    Why do you want additional classes for each Entity? I have reasons for