Problem with Entity Modeler and prototypes when switching DB

From: Archibal Singleton (concierg..xidia.com)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 11:32:37 EST

    Hello,

    I was just playing with switching a Model from OpenBase to FrontBase.
    The OB model didn't use prototypes, but in my FB model, I wanted to
    use them.

    So basically what I did was I created a new Database Config and went
    through through all the attributes and changed all their prototype
    from "No Prototype" to what I though was a suitable prototype.

    But trying to generate SQL gave me erros similar to the following:

    "Unable to find type information for external type 'int' in attribute
    'entreeID' of entity 'EntIng'. Check spelling and capitalization."

    After further investigation, the problem seems to be that even though
    I specified prototypes for attributes, the external type field kept
    the OB specific type e.g. 'int' instead of switching to FB 'INTEGER'
    or 'timestamp' vs. 'TIMESTAMP'.

    Now if I manually erase the external type for every attribute they
    seem to pick the correct DB specific type based on the prototype.

    Also making different DB config active correctly switch the external
    type but only for the attributes where the external type was manually
    erased. For attribute that had a "manually" set external type, that
    type stick

    It seems to me, that specifying a prototype for a field should resets
    it external type (and whatever else might be DB specific)

    The original model was created with EOModeler.

    Also the currencyAmount for OB sets 'decimal' as the external type but
    this yield the following error OpenBase as the DB:

    Unable to find type information for external type 'decimal' in
    attribute 'price' of entity 'Entree'. Check spelling and
    capitalization.

    Is currencyAmount supposed not to work with OB?

    Should I file bugs or am I (as usual) missing something obvious?

    = tmk =