Re: Problem with Entity Modeler and prototypes when switching DB

From: Archibal Singleton (concierg..xidia.com)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 13:51:31 EST

    On 08 Mar 2008, at 14:49, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >> OTOH, my reasoning is that, *I* (so it's not as if EM is doing
    >> something I didn't requested) did select the prototype and thus I
    >> expected it to switch my attribute to using the prototype even if
    >> that means resetting values. In fact I actually expected it to
    >> reset the attribute so that it exactly matched the prototype. But
    >> in this case it did exactly *nothing* (?) which is totally
    >> misleading and puzzling.
    >>

    >> When you speak about "overriding" settings I would expect that this
    >> is again something *I* would do *after* specifying the prototype.
    > Well, for instance, attribute name is defined in the prototype.
    > Should changing prototypes override your attribute name?

    Interesting, this newbie didn't know that prototype not defined type-
    specific information but could also define something as application-
    specific as an attribute I've only used the WOnder prototypes and
    didn't look very deeply...

    You're indeed right that it should not probably not override the
    attribute name.

    OTOH, it should not to nothing either IMHO :-).

    So the best of both world would seem to be what you suggest below: a
    warning.

    >> Also, specifically for the external type, I'm wondering what would
    >> the benefit of using a prototype with an external type different
    >> from the one defined in the prototype? For the other settings the
    >> it's obvious that preserving their value may prove useful.
    > Even though you and I think this is strange, never underestimate the
    > confusing choices people make. EOF allows this, so we have to also.

    Indeed.

    > I'm also not a fan of force-overriding the value only for that one
    > setting -- That's more confusing that not doing it for any.

    Agreed.

    > I think maybe it could bring up dialog when you change prototypes on
    > a non-blank attribute asking if you want to replace the attribute's
    > settings, and it has a "Don't ask again" checkbox.

    Yes I like that. Of course I would ask that you consider making that
    Don't ask setting user changeable (maybe in the WOLips prefs?)

    I'll post an enhancement request.

    Thanks!

    = tmk =