Re: Anybody seen this?

From: Miguel Arroz (arro..uiamac.com)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 11:53:19 EDT

    Hi!

       UTF is a mess, unfortunately. It's the key example I use when I
    want to demonstrate that it's useless to create over-complex
    standards, because no-one will implement them fully or correctly (try
    to put UTF-16 docs in a SVN repository, for example) and the result is
    almost worse than having no standard at all.

       Indeed, I keep TextWrangler around for that kind of stuff, it
    handles all the encodings very well, and has that great command that
    causes an immediate gremlin carnage! :)

       Yours

    Miguel Arroz

    On 2008/03/09, at 03:34, Johan Henselmans wrote:

    > On 9 mrt 2008, at 03:32, Miguel Arroz wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Are you sure you don't have any "gremlins" every other character
    >> resulting from the UTF changes? Try to open the file in
    >> TextWrangler, and run the command Zap Gremlins from some menu.
    >>

    > Thanks, I indeed had the character space phenomenon when you typed
    > (if you go with the arrow key over the text, it seems that you have
    > to click twice for every character). I thought that saving it as
    > UTF-8 would remove the gremlins. Apparently it did not.
    >
    >> Yours
    >>
    >> Miguel Arroz
    >>
    >> On 2008/03/09, at 02:26, Johan Henselmans wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have just converted some projects with Pascal Xcode Migrator,
    >>> and hoping to live happy ever after, but this is what happened:
    >>>

    >>> <pastedGraphic.tiff>
    >>>

    >>> I thought that perhaps the problem had to do with UTF16/UTF8
    >>> problems, so I copied the whole stuff into SubEtha, making sure I
    >>> saved it as UTF-8 and then reopening it with TextEdit, copying it
    >>> back. Still same problem. I have reverted to the previous version
    >>> of WOLips I had on the machine (4906 from 4965), but the same
    >>> problem persisted.
    >>>

    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Johan Henselmans
    >>> http://www.netsense.nl