Re: Error on SQL generation

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2008 - 17:21:05 EDT

  • Next message: Marc Gumpinger (JIRA): "[OS-JIRA] Created: (WOL-752) After build: executable inside .woa refers to home env var that is not available for appserver user if launched from Monitor"

    > However, the eomodel did open with no database connection. I guess
    > it did so even though it could not get the jdbc2info from the
    > server, maybe instead relying on the jdbc2info already in the
    > eomodel. I was able to do anything that one would expect to be able
    > to do without a database connection. However, when I saved the
    > eomodel after I changed the connection dictionary, an alert panel
    > warned that a connection to the database server failed and refused
    > to save my changes.
    I wasn't clear in my original response -- EOModeler requires a DB
    connection to do any DB operation when a jdbc2Info dictionary is not
    available. So making a NEW model requires a db connection. SQL gen
    in EOModeler can then use that jdbc2Info, but Entitiy Modeler actually
    REMOVES jdbc2Info from models prior to SQL generation because it's the
    source of endless confusion, and IMHO, caching the jdbc2Info in the
    model was the wrong way for EOF to have solved this problem. Of
    course, requiring access to the DB could also be considered a source
    of confusion, but at least the resulting errors make sense.

    >> Maybe Entity Modeler could behave like EOModeler appears to
    >> behave: attempt to connect to the DB server in the connection
    >> dictionary, but after a brief period, give up connecting if no
    >> connection is made and use any existing jdbc2info to create a list
    >> of external types.
    see above :)

    >> Could Entity Modeler attempt to connect but give up if no
    >> connection occurs within a brief time-out period? If a time-out
    >> occurs, it could instead get the jdbc2info from the plugin.
    The plugins require a database connection (well, all the
    implementations of all the plugins I know of) to hand back a
    jdbc2Info. Currently with EOF, it's impossible to go from making a
    new model through to generating SQL without requiring a database
    connection SOMEWHERE in that process. I mentioned a couple posts back
    that I have actually considered fixing this in Wonder's PG and FB
    plugins (maybe triggered by a flag in the connection string), but it
    wouldn't be a general solution.

    ms