Re: WOD errors

From: Art Isbell (aisbel..ac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 18:30:03 EDT

    On Mar 14, 2008, at 12:16 PM, Q wrote:

    > Declare an empty or abstract baz() method in the _Bar class so that
    > the method always exists, only the implementation varies between Bar
    > and _Bar (this may or may not be useful, I can't tell because of the
    > obfuscated names we are using) No need for reflection.

            You may recognize the database.Bar/database._Bar pattern as that
    generated from an eomodel by (Java)EOGenerator. _Bar isn't supposed
    to be modified. And I can't (easily) modify database.Bar because it
    is produced and maintained by others.

            Extension of base classes to add functionality is a principal feature
    of O-O design. If one had absolutely no access to the base class
    (very common), one couldn't add abstract/empty methods to the base
    class in order to extend the base class in a safe manner. So your
    solution doesn't seem like a very general one.

    Aloha,
    Art