Re: Can't open workspace

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 12:50:07 EDT

    On Mar 19, 2008, at 8:18 AM, Archibald Singleton wrote:
    > On 18 Mar 2008, at 14:51, Chuck Hill wrote:

    >>> You'll want to make sure that the corresponding directory in your
    >>> file system needs has the same layout as original WO System
    >>> Frameworks layout e.g. /User/xavier/Library/Frameworks/...
    >>>
    >>> Also if you want your apps to automatically open in the brower,
    >>> you'll need to have /User/xavier/System/Library/WebObjects/
    >>> Executables/WOOpenURL point to /usr/bin/open
    >>
    >> Isn't that /User/xavier/Library/WebObjects/Executables/WOOpenURL
    >> (no System, IIRC)
    >
    > Oops, copy/paste typo, sorry. Yes, your path above would be the
    > correct one.
    >
    >> It also depends on how you do it.
    >
    > Indeed.

    That is a problem with WOLips: there are many, many ways to build and
    run an app. This is great when you need the flexibility, but makes it
    easy to create problems for yourself.

    >> For WOLips, I include the frameworks in my home dir. That is what
    >> gets loaded when run from Eclipse:
    >>
    >>> /Users/chuck/Library/Frameworks/JavaEOAccess.framework/Resources/
    >>> Java/javaeoaccess.jar
    >>> --> Exists
    >>> /Users/chuck/Library/Frameworks/JavaEOControl.framework/Resources/
    >>> Java/javaeocontrol.jar
    >>> --> Exists
    >
    >> I define wo.wosystemroot in my project's build.xml (actually, a
    >> common build.xml) so it is set correct for the Ant builder.
    >>
    >> WOOpenURL is used from /System/Library
    >
    > How do you do that?

    First, I have a very custom (and strange) build. I also only use the
    Ant builder and not the incremental builder.

    I don't think that WOLips particularly cares what wo.wosystemroot is.
    If you have JavaWebObjects.framework in ~/Library/Frameworks and in /
    System/Library/Frameworks, it should pick up the one in ~/Library/
    Frameworks. That is what it does for me. wo.wosystemroot gets passed
    to the running app, which uses it to look up WOOpenURL. So in ~/
    Library/wobuild.properties, I have
    wo.wosystemroot=/System

    In my build.xml, I have:

    <!-- Hack to use WO 5.3.3 on Leopard, remove when good 5.4 released -->
    <property name="wo.wosystemroot" value="${user.home}"/>

    And in the app task:

    <frameworks embed="true"
         dir="${system.frameworks.path}"
         bundles="${system.frameworks}" />

    > After I started using a custom directory for the WO System
    > Frameworks, I noticed that Eclipse would print an error message
    > mentioning that WOOpenURL could not be found when launching my apps.
    > And the apps would of course no longer automatically open in the
    > browser (even though I had a WOOpenURL symlink under /System/
    > Library...).
    >
    > It's only weeks later that it occurred to me that maybe it was
    > looking for WOOpenURL in my custom WO system frameworks dir (the one
    > specified by wo.wosystemroot). After I created the appropriate
    > directory and symlink under that directory, the open in browser
    > functionality was indeed restored.

    Yes, it bases the location on the value of WOSystemRoot.

    Chuck