Re: Building under both WO 5.3 and 5.4 under Leopard

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 20:08:33 EDT

    On Mar 21, 2008, at 4:55 PM, Art Isbell wrote:

    > On Mar 21, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Chuck Hill wrote:

    >>> I've done this and can run from within Eclipse, but is this
    >>> sufficient to set a deployed WO app's class path?
    >>
    >> No, not unless Mike's changes have changed something recently. It
    >> would not know if it should include them from /Library, ~/Library,
    >> or somewhere else.
    >

    > When I saw your reply, I was composing a reply in which I verified
    > that doing so does not produce a valid class path in
    > MacOSClassPath.txt. So such an app would crash on launch when
    > deployed.

    Yes. At least if you are not embedding the frameworks into the apps.
    I am not sure which ones it uses if you are doing that.

    > So what are Eclipse users doing to make this work?

    I may not be the best person to ask. :-)

    > Are you installing any old versions of your custom frameworks in /
    > Library/Frameworks so that Eclipse is happy when you add your custom
    > frameworks to the list of Local WebObjects Frameworks?

    What _I_ personally do, is to install into ~/Library/Frameworks on
    each build. But I have Build Automatically turned off so builds do no
    happen every save. I can almost hear Mike sobbing now. I have been
    doing it like that for a long time, for reasons that may no longer
    hold true.

    > Because you can run a development version from within Eclipse by
    > adding the necessary framework projects to the build path, it's not
    > necessary to have the latest and greatest versions in /Library/
    > Frameworks.

    Correct.

    > But I also like to test deployed versions as well. I guess before
    > doing so, I could install the appropriate versions in /Library/
    > Framework at that time. But I have gotten accustomed to forgetting
    > about this by merely adding the appropriate soft links in /Library/
    > Frameworks so these are always up-to-date.

    The install time is not that great, Ant only copies the new / modified
    files. So you could do what I do.

         <!-- Target used by jass.builder and full.build to copy the built
    product to the installed location.
         This is done as the classpaths generated for
         the jass and wocompile tasks expect to find the frameworks in the
    installed
         location. Framework embedding probably also expects this. -->
         <target name="copy.install" depends="setProps">
             <copy todir="${install.dir}" >
                 <fileset dir="${build.dir}" includes="${product.dir}/**"/>
             </copy>
         </target>

    I am waiting to hear what sane Eclipse developers without a wacked out
    build process do.

    Chuck