Re: Building under both WO 5.3 and 5.4 under Leopard

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 21:40:57 EDT

    On 22/03/2008, at 11:08 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:
    >> So what are Eclipse users doing to make this work? Are you
    >> installing any old versions of your custom frameworks in /Library/
    >> Frameworks so that Eclipse is happy when you add your custom
    >> frameworks to the list of Local WebObjects Frameworks?
    > Yes, and it's stupid and error-prone. You can also switch to
    > declaring your framework dependencies directly in your ant build
    > file and then ONLY use project dependencies (this is how Anjo does
    > it, for instance). I happen to be mostly disgusted by this, because
    > I hate ant so much, but the alternative is nearly as silly. This is
    > all slated to be replaced (it's actually already written) to unify
    > project and framework dependencies into a single concept so you
    > don't have to muck with doing it twice. This is all just leftover
    > cruft from "how it's always worked" since the beginning of days.

    Except that you'll still have to muck with which version of the
    frameworks are installed (i.e., one project needs WO5.3, one needs
    WO5.4, Wonder versions, private versions etc) and you can't just
    switch to another project without all this mucking around (if it
    depends on other versions).

    Just thinking.... would it not be possible to be able to define a
    domain suffix (default per project, overridden per framework) to save
    this switching? e.g.,
    suffix = /WebObjects533

    So then order of lookup would be:
    ~/Library/Frameworks/WebObjects533
    /Library/Frameworks/WebObjects533
    /System/Library/Frameworks/WebObjects533

    This would really aid in setting up a build server or even working
    locally so that each project is not so dependent on the 'installed'
    environment.

    Thoughts?

    with regards,

    --