Re: use Maven (was: Re: Building under both WO 5.3 and 5.4 under Leopard)

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2008 - 18:43:11 EDT

    On 24/03/2008, at 6:07 AM, Art Isbell wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 2008, at 4:06 AM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, use Maven. That fixes the problem of concurrent library
    >> versions in different projects "by nature", e.g. Maven was made for
    >> this.
    >
    > Thanks for this suggestion. I know others who use Maven with their
    > WO projects.
    >
    > However, for a non-Java programmer coming from an Objective-C
    > background, who isn't familiar with Eclipse and its many plugins,
    > and who wants to spend most of his effort adding functionality to WO
    > apps rather than learning new and frequently arcane Java tools,
    > adding yet another unfamiliar tool to the mix of Eclipse, WOLips,
    > ant, etc., isn't a very appealing prospect. The need to use both WO
    > 5.3 and 5.4 frameworks on the same partition is a temporary
    > requirement for me, and one that seems to be mostly resolved, so I
    > think I'll concentrate my tool learning on Eclipse and WOLips at
    > this time.

    Well I'm interested in hearing more about Ulrich's (or is that
    Ülrich's?) set up for maven -- as I've got projects that my boss
    doesn't want to move forward from 5.2.4 (or 5.3.3). But I'll still
    need to make minor adjustments to them.

    So whatever happens I'll be needing to be able to straddle multiple
    versions and have our build server do the same for deployment -- and
    I'm not seeing an easy path to do this via ant given the current
    classpath possibilities.

    Ulrich, can you share with us about your whole setup (from development
    to deployment)? And how does this affect your usage or WOLips?

    Thanks.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck