Re: Debugging with Plugin Development

From: Q (qdola..mail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 08:09:22 EDT

    On 30/03/2008, at 8:55 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:
    > On 30/03/2008, at 9:27 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

    What's up with your system clock?

    >>> You should be using the plugin(s) you are working on within
    >>> eclipse as individual projects and launching using Run As Eclipse
    >>> Application. This will cause eclipse to launch a second instance
    >>> of eclipse with a new workspace that you can then debug, modify
    >>> with hot replace and step through as necessary.
    >>
    >> So if you're making changes to, for example,
    >> org.objectstyle.wolips.eomodeler,
    >> org.objectstyle.wolips.eomodeler.core,
    >> org.objecstyle.wolips.baseforplugins
    >>
    >> What do you choose to run in order to simulate running Eclipse/
    >> WOLips as normal?
    >>
    >> e.g., creating a new EOModel + opening it and seeing if prototypes
    >> are available?
    >
    > Okay, that's easy enough... cool. Thanks Quinton.

    I assume you worked it out then.

    > Is there some standard logging in place (ala log4j etc)?

    Good question.
    I just use System.out.println() and System.err.println(). They just
    print out on the eclipse console in black and red as usual.

    You might also want to open an "Errors" view in your running eclipse
    instance (the debugee not the debugger) so you can lookup stack traces
    from any unhandled exceptions that don't print something to the console.

    --
    Seeya...Q

    Quinton Dolan - qdola..mail.com Gold Coast, QLD, Australia (GMT+10) Ph: +61 419 729 806