Re: WOLips on Windows [was RE: Eclipse update sites]

From: David Avendasora (webobject..vendasora.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 11:11:50 EDT

    On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:55 AM, Bill Michell wrote:

    > I don’t have much I can add to the Wiki. In particular, as I
    > upgraded to 5.4 from a fully working 5.2.4 (via 5.3) installation, I
    > have no idea which steps I have taken over the years are still
    > necessary. However:
    >
    > With a fully patched Leopard system, the WO 5.4.1 jars are just
    > sitting there in the lib directory, and if you pop them in a
    > Framework project, you can stop adding any locally installed System
    > frameworks to the classpath. This means a simple WO 5.2 install for
    > Windows is sufficient to get you developing. I’m not yet using
    > Project WOnder, so there was no issue there.

    So you install 5.2, then create a framework of the 5.4.1 .jars then
    just add that framework to your projects?

    > AutoOpenInBrowser is completely broken on Windows now, even with
    > the Application._isSupportedDevelopmentPlatform hack – but
    > everything else, being just java, simply works.

    I'm guessing this is a WO IDE integration issue, and I believe that
    Mike has done some substantial work on that side, but I don't know if
    it is anything that either broke or will help with WOLips on Windows.

    > I used to have a problem with flattened resources, and with locating
    > WebServerResources in rapid turnaround mode – so I’ve written my own
    > wrappers around the various WO resource manager methods that do the
    > right thing. I don’t know whether this is still important with the
    > latest WOLips, but I don’t thnk that this is Windows-specific anyway.

    Probably the same as above.

    Have you filed bugs in JIRA for these issues?

    > Deploying WO5.4 applications to a Windows box is a completely
    > different kettle of fish, of course. WO5.4 breaks Windows support,
    > and particularly IIS adaptor support, in many wonderful ways. Web
    > Server Resource location in direct connect mode also behaves
    > differently. But that wiki page isn’t about WO on Windows, just
    > WOLips on Windows, right?

    Exactly. I develop on Mac but deploy to Tomcat on Windows and I've
    easily gotten it to where the same WAR will run on either Mac or
    Windows without problem, I haven't tried Linux but I don't see why it
    wouldn't work there as well.

    > The next steps are probably to migrate to Tomcat (or some other J2EE
    > system) hosting, and to incorporate WOnder – at least when the 5.4.1
    > support there settles down.

    Come on in, the Tomcat water is fine!

    Dave