Re: Configuring identical Eclipse/WOLips settings on multiple computers

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2008 - 05:29:28 EDT

    Hi Art,

    On 19/04/2008, at 9:40 AM, Art Isbell wrote:

    > Tiger and Leopard
    > Eclipse 3.3.2
    > WOLips 3.3.5047
    > Goal: Copy Eclipse/WOLips configuration from one system to others
    >
    > I sent my workspace's .metadata directory to a coworker 2500+ miles
    > away in hopes that she could use it to configure her Eclipse/WOLips
    > workspace with settings identical to mine. We have a CVS repository
    > that we can both access, so she is able to populate her workspace
    > with the same file versions as are in mine.
    >
    > She can view the WO framework projects in WO Package Explorer and
    > see the non-filtered files and directories. But she cannot view the
    > non-filtered files and directories in the WO app projects. These WO
    > app projects have build errors as well. She can see the project
    > files and directories in Navigator. Unfortunately, I can't see what
    > she's seeing, so I probably don't have all the details.
    >
    > She has tried deleting and importing an app project, but she says
    > that the import dialog doesn't indicate that the app project is
    > available for importing. Maybe this means the Eclipse isn't
    > recognizing the app project as a project.
    >
    > What do you suggest that she try to resolve this problem?

    I've never kept my projects in the workspace. Perhaps that's an Xcode
    legacy -- but Eclipse's workspace can be brittle enough which for me
    warrants avoiding that scenario. e.g., if your projects are playing up
    for no apparent reason, it can sometimes be worth creating a fresh
    workspace and importing your projects (not copying into mind you) into
    your new workspace. Naturally it means your new workspace's
    preferences need setting up again...

    However, what you can be doing is highlighting your project in the
    explorer, and option+return or Project > Properties and using specific
    settings for each project (which can simply be the same as what's in
    your preferences). That way the settings stick with the project no
    matter which workspace they're imported into.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck