Re: Questions about Eclipse text file encoding and encoding specified in .woo

From: Q (qdola..mail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 17:54:19 EDT

    On 29/04/2008, at 2:23 AM, Ricardo Parada wrote:
    > In Eclipse preferences under General > Workspace, there is an option
    > for Text file encoding which has a Default of MacRoman.
    > I then find that this has to be changed to UTF-8 to match the
    > encoding specified in the .woo file of my components, otherwise I
    > get a warning.

    Since both eclipse and WO store information about the encoding of your
    component (html & wod) files in different ways, WO in .woo file,
    eclipse in the project settings, the warning is telling you that the
    two don't match, which is a problem if you use any of the extended
    character supported by the character set.

    For a new project or new components they should always match, if they
    don't it's a bug. For existing or imported components you need to
    ensure that eclipse, your project or your components are configured to
    ensure eclipse will interpret the component files the same way WO
    will, hence the encoding mismatch check. If you don't use any unicode
    characters it's not likely to make much difference and you can ignore
    the warning, but it's there for your own safety.

    You should never need to edit the .woo file manually, in fact wolips
    the contents from you most of the time. WOLips will update the .woo
    file automatically to keep the encoding setting in sync with whatever
    character set you tell eclipse to use for your component

    > Does this Text file encoding refer to the encoding used when editing
    > a .java file, .wod or .html in Eclipse?

    Yes, however this is for .wod and .html files only. Java and .woo
    files are always UTF-8

    > The encoding specified in the .woo file, is that used by WebObjects
    > to figure out the encoding of the .html and .wod files?

    Correct. If no woo file exists WO will assume the encoding type to be
    UTF-8 unless you have changed this in your application code, but it
    does do an automatic check for UTF-16 just to be on the safe side.

    --
    Seeya...Q

    Quinton Dolan - qdola..mail.com Gold Coast, QLD, Australia (GMT+10) Ph: +61 419 729 806