RE: AutoOpenInBrowser doesn´t work anymore (on Windows)

From: Bill Michell (bill.michel..bc.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 07:04:02 EDT

    It is possible but not easy. The utility application shipped with WO5.2 that was invoked in order to launch IE is not part of the 5.4 distribution, so you have to figure out how to launch a suitable browser yourself.

    If you're using Java 6, the method:
    java.awt.Desktop.getDesktop().browse(new URI(anURLString));
    opens a browser on your operating system, whatever it is. Of course, the Mac doesn't yet support Java 6. If you're stuck with Java 5, well, all I can say is "good luck".

    Unfortunately, shoehorning such a call into your Application requires some nasty overriding of the private API that the 5.4.1 WOApplication class is using internally - or some other equivalent hack - and therefore is not likely to be compatible with future WO versions without some modifications. It'll also leave you feeling very dirty.

    5.4.1 isn't intended to be developed on Windows. You're very much on your own.

    --
    Bill Michell
    Development Team Leader, Broadcast Platforms, BBC FM&T (Journalism).

    -----Original Message----- From: Georg von Bülow [mailto:geor..oleque.com.br] Sent: 11 June 2008 21:03 To: woproject-de..bjectstyle.org Subject: AutoOpenInBrowser doesn´t work anymore (on Windows)

    Hi,

    I'm using WO 5.4.1 with the newest WOLips on Windows XP. Unfortunately, AutoOpenInBrowser doesn´t work anymore, the following message shows up:

    - Unable to locate /usr/bin/open on your computer, AutoOpen launch will not work

    Of course it´s possible to copy the url in my browser, but it´s getting really tedious...

    I read in the Wiki that there´s a workaround for Leopard [1], anyone knows something similiar for Windows?

    Thanks for any hints in advance, Georg

    [1] http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=197094

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will signify your consent to this.