Re: Apple Maven Support: First Impression

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 18:26:41 EDT

    Hi Daryl,

    On 13/06/2008, at 7:52 AM, Daryl Lee wrote:

    > On Jun 11, 2008, at 8:36 PM, Henrique Prange wrote:
    >
    >> I have tried the Apple Maven plug-in, but I don't have success
    >> because
    >> of the version of m2eclipse. As Quinton advised me, I must use an
    >> older version of this plug-in. Can anyone confirm which version of
    >> m2eclipse should I use?
    >
    > Apologies, I don't know I ended up linking against an ancient
    > version of the maven eclipse plugin.

    Just wondering also, as I'd been using q4e quite happily before, how
    much of a dependency the apple maven plugin has on m2eclipse?

    http://code.google.com/p/q4e/
    http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/iam/

    As I understand it the two have some common ground.

    >> I have used an old version of m2eclipse (before the current 0.9.x)
    >> some time ago and it really sucks. I think it is not a good idea to
    >> provide a plug-in for Maven integration based on this version (if
    >> this
    >> is the case).
    >>
    >> I have also realized (only seeing code and tutorials) the plug-in
    >> allow the configuration of "remote repository". Is it really
    >> necessary? I've seem some problems in the way this feature are being
    >> provided:
    >>
    >> 1) You have to make this configuration for every WO project. Why not
    >> using the settings.xml?
    >
    > The idea was to make the templated projects self contained. I
    > didn't want to plugin getting into business of managing (and
    > possibly wrecking someone's global settings). Once people get the
    > hang of how Maven works, they can branch out to using the
    > settings.xml. On the WO team we use the settings.xml to manage all
    > of our repository configurations.

    Cool.

    >> 2) Advises users to use WebServer or other mechanisms as a repository
    >> instead of a Repository Manager or the local repository itself.
    >
    > I don't think there was guidance towards using the WebServer.

    The download and wiki mentions putting your stuff into /Library/
    WebServer/Documents/WebObjects. This (as I put a tip about on the
    wiki) assumes your Web Sharing is enabled. No biggie.

    > Using the local repository was also mentioned, especially when just
    > starting with the nighly repository.

    Yeah, and Repository Managers or local repo stuff are not immediately
    intuitive.

    >> 3) This feature should be (and I think it will be) addressed by
    >> m2eclipse. There is a high probability of this effort turns into
    >> waste
    >> of time in a near future.
    >>
    >> 4) Creates an unnecessary profile.xml file.
    >
    > People can ditch it once they get their feet wet.

    True.

    >> Before I forget, the wizards are very cool. :) It makes the startup
    >> for new users smoother.
    >>
    >> I want to contribute to this effort to make Maven integrate better
    >> with WebObjects and WOLips. But it is difficult without information
    >> and planning. Can anyone share some details about the subject?
    >
    > I'm open to any and all contributions. I'd like to work out a few
    > of the UI kinks and cruft that are in the current plugin first.
    > - remove the Preference panel since people don't currently need to
    > log in to ADC
    > - wire up the dependency panel in the project wizard correctly
    > - remove some unnecessary options in the Artifact Wizard page
    > - add some support for flattening resources/webserver resources
    >
    > Since the UI for the Maven Eclipse plugin is so lacking, I'm
    > thinking of exposing more configuration of the pom and maybe the
    > profiles.xml in the UI.

    Nice.

    > Currently, there isn't any default guidance for building war
    > bundles. The default templates should just generate this bundle
    > style with everything else.

    Yep.

    > I'd be happy to discuss any more ideas you have to extend the
    > functionality.

    Great.

    with regards,

    --