Re: Apple Maven Support: First Impression (Take 2)

From: Henrique Prange (hprang..mail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 19:35:02 EDT

    Hi Daryl,

    On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Daryl Lee <dle..pple.com> wrote:

    >> 1) Why a new maven-apple-plugin? What is wrong with
    >> maven-wolifecycle-plugin?
    >
    > - add new wizards/templates for creating a suggested WO Maven project
    > - add some UI guidance to to the relevant properties that will need to be
    > configured for the Apple provided nightly builds
    > - present a warning that these are currently NIGHTLY builds and are under
    > the ADC usage terms

    It is very cool. But my concern is about the Maven plug-in, not the
    Eclipse plug-in.

    > - add some plugins (mojos) that will work well with our suggested file
    > system layout

    As far as I know, the suggested file system layout is similar to this
    one [1] (I can't affirm it is equal). There is a plug-in called
    maven-wolifecycle-plugin [2] that works well with this file system. It
    already creates WOAs (as tar.gz) and WOFs (as jars). So, the question
    is: Why not use/improve this plug-in instead of creating a new one? Is
    it so badly coded? Is the purpose of this maven-apple-plugin to create
    a different approach to solve the same problem?

    >> 2) Why so much configuration in the pom (assembly-plugin and etc.)?
    >> Again, what is wrong with the way maven-wolifecycle-plugin package
    >> projects? (The final packages generated with both are similar, but
    >> with maven-wolifecycle-plugin you have to configure only a few lines
    >> in your pom)
    >
    > I wanted to give Maven newbies a window into possible extensions in the pom
    > and how easy it is to integrate new features into your build processes. I
    > used the assembly plugin in order to give people an idea about how to create
    > split installs using standard maven components. The deploy.xml is
    > relatively transparent in what it's doing. I threw in other things such as
    > javadoc generation, unit test reporting, etc. I could have made it a bare
    > bones pom.xml but this was more about guidance.

    Maybe I'm wrong, but when I start using a new tool, I prefer to begin
    with basic stuff and add complex things after. In the beginning, less
    is more. On the other hand, after I have learned and configured my
    environment, I want to use things that are the least intrusive. In my
    case, I will have to remove a lot of things using this template. I
    prefer to use woapplication-plugin [1] with the m2eclipse wizards (I
    have to write this tutorial*). It is simple and creates projects
    supporting Wonder (if I want) and deployment as true WAR (if I want)
    with few clicks.

    I'm not saying the idea of a special wizard to create WO applications
    is bad. I really liked it. I didn't like the template.

    So, IMHO, these generated resources are too much for beginners and
    useless for skilled developers. I think we could provide this guidance
    by other means.

    *Should I write this tutorial?

    >> 3) I know you will not answer that, but is Apple planning to make a
    >> proprietary version of Maven plug-in?
    >
    > I don't think we are going to create a commercial plugin if that's what
    > you're getting at.

    No. I just want to know if I will have access to source code.
    WebObjects is free, but I don't have access to source code. WOLips is
    free and I have access to source code. That is my doubt.

    >> I understand the lack of transparency of Apple about internal
    >> business. I just want to know if I should continue developing things
    >> for Maven in WOLips (and writing tutorials) or if it will be waste of
    >> my time.
    >
    > The nightly builds will be released in Maven repository form. I don't see
    > any other simple mechanism to easily deliver this. Maven does this so
    > cleanly.

    Sure. I really like it. I use Maven to manage all my projects. I'm
    really happy with this. I want to know if I should finish the tests on
    maven-wolifecycle-plugin and release this new version (2.0.15) or am I
    wasting time?

    [1] http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/woapplication-archetype
    [2] http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/maven-wolifecycle-plugin

    Cheers,