possible supercrash?

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2008 - 01:23:01 EDT

    If you install a nightly after .... well ... this instant ... there is
    a new feature (that hopefully will move into Eclipse core). If you
    run OS X Leopard, the implementation of the workspace refresh provider
    has switched from the default polling to one based on the Leopard File
    System Events API (this is basically the same API that lets Finder
    refresh immediately when you make a change to your files). This
    should result in vastly better performance (no more polling = less
    laptop fan :) ) and refreshing should be very fast. The
    implementation currently has a 1 second max delay (to allow for
    coalescing), though I might drop this lower after some testing. This
    means that after touching the filesystem, it will be at most 1 second
    before the change appears (and possibly nearly immediate). There is a
    little more work to do, however, because the default eclipse
    implementation of responding to a refresh command is to do a subtree
    scan, whereas with FSEvents we actually know whether or not we have to
    do that (at best, and usually the case, we only need to do a single
    container scan). This is going to take some API changes in Eclipse to
    support this change, though. Even without that, it's still pretty
    good, though, as most of your time is spent changing files in packages
    and components (which tend to not be deep trees). The worst case of
    this is if you change a file in the project root, which will
    essentially be no worse than the previous implementation (well, better
    because it doesn't CONSTANTLY do it).

    So the downside of this is that there's a new hunk of JNI code in
    there, written by a mostly-Java-guy, so there's potential for a series
    of explosions. I've been using it for a little while now without any
    problems, and the high-risk points are usually startup and shutdown,
    so you'll probably know pretty fast if it breaks. So if you install
    the new build and your Eclipse dies on you .... I might be partially
    responsible. Let me know.

    Next up is to start looking at the build process ... On systems that
    support symbolic links, I believe it will substantially increase the
    build speed to change the build process to use symlinks instead of
    copies. In fact, if you use fluffy bunny, WebServerResources (as an
    example) can be symlinked in a single step. The nice thing about
    switching to symlinks is that it also means that files like d2wmodels
    will be "live" so that changes will reflect immediately and will also
    be available to the assistant for editing.

    ms