Component Editor

From: David Avendasora (webobject..vendasora.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 11:36:18 EDT

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks again for going through all the stuff last night at the WONOVA
    meeting. I really like getting the behind the scenes look at what
    could be coming up with the dev tools.

    I'm copying this to the WOProject list because I think others may have
    valuable input on this as well.

    Andrew Kinnie and I had a couple beers (I know, shocking) after the
    meeting last night and we started discussing some of the stuff you
    went over last night and your desire to make WOLips as beginning-user-
    friendly as possible. We came up with a few things that, from our
    perspective, are the confusing or daunting aspects of WO development
    for the beginner.

    Now that the tools are getting much more polished in their look and
    feel, the big barrier to WO-newbies is now becoming questions like
    "Which EOGenerator should I use?" and "Do I want Apple or Wonder
    Inline Bindings?", let alone "What the heck are Inline-bindings?".
    Right now, once a new developer decides to use WebObjects they are
    faced with so many subsequent questions that there is no way they can
    possibly have the answer to yet, and no matter what they pick someone
    is going to suggest doing it differently. On top of that, it's only
    getting more complicated with two different kinds of AJAX soon to be
    available.

    We think there are a couple key things that could streamline this
    process for WOnder applications.

    1) Fully embrace WOnder in a WOnder App. Make the default setup of a
    WOnder application implement click-to-open and as many of the other
    WOnder technologies as possible right out of the starting-gate. If
    someone wants to pick-and-choose the pieces of WOnder that they use,
    let them start with a standard WO application and add things from
    there, or remove unwanted things from the default WOnder app. Don't
    make the default a half-way thing!

    2) Hide the Binding Style form the beginner. Abstract the modification
    of Components using a "projection" as you talked about last night. The
    editing UI for editiing a Component would be the same for all tag
    styles (inline, WOD or mixed) and WOLips would take care of making the
    modifications to the HTML or WOD. You could always edit them directly
    with a text editor if you're anal like that, but the default editor
    would completely hide where the bindings are being written. A
    preference change could change where bindings were written, but it
    wouldn't change the editing UI. This, combined with the drag-and-drop
    binding functionality would make Component Editor much less
    complicated for the beginner, but still allow the advanced developer
    to do what they need to.

    3) Make the Bindings tab part of the WOLips perspective by default.

    4) (this one's mine, and I brought it up before but haven't yet added
    a feature request for it) Watch what classes the focus is on in
    the .java editor and instead of having the Related tab showing just
    the EOModel, have it show and possibly make available for editing, the
    EOModel properties, attributes and relationships, etc. for the
    selected class's entity, which would help break the disconnect between
    the model and the class, and likely greatly reduce the amount of times
    you need to actually open the whole model (and therefor switch
    perspectives - which can be quite disturbing to Eclipse newbies).

    What do other developers, especially beginners, think?

    After some discussion, I'll be happy to submit feature requests.

    Dave