Re: Component Editor

From: David Holt (programmingos..ac.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 12:06:22 EDT

    On 17-Jul-08, at 8:36 AM, David Avendasora wrote:

    > 1) Fully embrace WOnder in a WOnder App. Make the default setup of
    > a WOnder application implement click-to-open and as many of the
    > other WOnder technologies as possible right out of the starting-
    > gate. If someone wants to pick-and-choose the pieces of WOnder that
    > they use, let them start with a standard WO application and add
    > things from there, or remove unwanted things from the default
    > WOnder app. Don't make the default a half-way thing!

    I fully agree. I would love to have things like click to open
    without having to remember how to implement it myself for each new
    project. This would further encourage people to take a look at what
    WOnder brings to the table...

    > 2) Hide the Binding Style form the beginner. Abstract the
    > modification of Components using a "projection" as you talked about
    > last night. The editing UI for editiing a Component would be the
    > same for all tag styles (inline, WOD or mixed) and WOLips would
    > take care of making the modifications to the HTML or WOD. You could
    > always edit them directly with a text editor if you're anal like
    > that, but the default editor would completely hide where the
    > bindings are being written. A preference change could change where
    > bindings were written, but it wouldn't change the editing UI. This,
    > combined with the drag-and-drop binding functionality would make
    > Component Editor much less complicated for the beginner, but still
    > allow the advanced developer to do what they need to.

    This would be really cool.

    > 3) Make the Bindings tab part of the WOLips perspective by default.

    I agree.

    > 4) (this one's mine, and I brought it up before but haven't yet
    > added a feature request for it) Watch what classes the focus is on
    > in the .java editor and instead of having the Related tab showing
    > just the EOModel, have it show and possibly make available for
    > editing, the EOModel properties, attributes and relationships, etc.
    > for the selected class's entity, which would help break the
    > disconnect between the model and the class, and likely greatly
    > reduce the amount of times you need to actually open the whole
    > model (and therefor switch perspectives - which can be quite
    > disturbing to Eclipse newbies).

    I like having my model open in a separate window, but this sounds
    like a reasonable idea too!

    > What do other developers, especially beginners, think?
    >
    > After some discussion, I'll be happy to submit feature requests.

    What's to discuss? These all sound like great ideas to me :-)