Re: Component Editor

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 13:45:29 EDT

  • Next message: Chris Meyer (JIRA): "[OS-JIRA] Created: (WOL-858) [Entity modeler] Column inspector is not visible when inspecting non-accessible columns such as primary keys"

    On Jul 17, 2008, at 8:36 AM, David Avendasora wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Thanks again for going through all the stuff last night at the
    > WONOVA meeting. I really like getting the behind the scenes look at
    > what could be coming up with the dev tools.
    >
    > I'm copying this to the WOProject list because I think others may
    > have valuable input on this as well.
    >
    > Andrew Kinnie and I had a couple beers (I know, shocking)

    Only shocking if you stopped at two.

    > after the meeting last night and we started discussing some of the
    > stuff you went over last night and your desire to make WOLips as
    > beginning-user-friendly as possible. We came up with a few things
    > that, from our perspective, are the confusing or daunting aspects of
    > WO development for the beginner.
    >
    > Now that the tools are getting much more polished in their look and
    > feel, the big barrier to WO-newbies is now becoming questions like
    > "Which EOGenerator should I use?" and "Do I want Apple or Wonder
    > Inline Bindings?", let alone "What the heck are Inline-bindings?".
    > Right now, once a new developer decides to use WebObjects they are
    > faced with so many subsequent questions that there is no way they
    > can possibly have the answer to yet, and no matter what they pick
    > someone is going to suggest doing it differently. On top of that,
    > it's only getting more complicated with two different kinds of AJAX
    > soon to be available.
    >
    > We think there are a couple key things that could streamline this
    > process for WOnder applications.
    >
    > 1) Fully embrace WOnder in a WOnder App. Make the default setup of a
    > WOnder application implement click-to-open and as many of the other
    > WOnder technologies as possible right out of the starting-gate. If
    > someone wants to pick-and-choose the pieces of WOnder that they use,
    > let them start with a standard WO application and add things from
    > there, or remove unwanted things from the default WOnder app. Don't
    > make the default a half-way thing!

    +1

    > 2) Hide the Binding Style form the beginner. Abstract the
    > modification of Components using a "projection" as you talked about
    > last night. The editing UI for editiing a Component would be the
    > same for all tag styles (inline, WOD or mixed) and WOLips would take
    > care of making the modifications to the HTML or WOD. You could
    > always edit them directly with a text editor if you're anal like
    > that, but the default editor would completely hide where the
    > bindings are being written. A preference change could change where
    > bindings were written, but it wouldn't change the editing UI. This,
    > combined with the drag-and-drop binding functionality would make
    > Component Editor much less complicated for the beginner, but still
    > allow the advanced developer to do what they need to.

    Not really sure what Mike is on about, but +1 anyway.

    > 3) Make the Bindings tab part of the WOLips perspective by default.

    +1

    > 4) (this one's mine, and I brought it up before but haven't yet
    > added a feature request for it) Watch what classes the focus is on
    > in the .java editor and instead of having the Related tab showing
    > just the EOModel, have it show and possibly make available for
    > editing, the EOModel properties, attributes and relationships, etc.
    > for the selected class's entity, which would help break the
    > disconnect between the model and the class, and likely greatly
    > reduce the amount of times you need to actually open the whole model
    > (and therefor switch perspectives - which can be quite disturbing to
    > Eclipse newbies).

    Interesting idea!

    > What do other developers, especially beginners, think?
    >
    > After some discussion, I'll be happy to submit feature requests.

    Not much discussion here! :-)

    Chuck