Using Maven problem and questions

From: William Hatch (wh7..ornell.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2008 - 19:52:03 EDT

    I thought I'd take a look at the most recent nightly, Eclipse 3.4 and
    the apple maven plug in.

    Update my local maven to 2.0.9, confirmed with which mvn and --
    version; and then created a standard project using the built in
    create archetype. all's well.

    Followed along here: http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Apple+Maven+Nightly+Builds

    downloaded the adc WO maven stuff and and copied it to ~/.m2

    installed the following plug ins

    m2Eclipse plug in from update site
    WOLips 3.4.5387 including both the original maven support plug ins and
    the apple maven plug in (more questions on this below)

    modified my settings.xml located in ~/.m2 with the settings
    downloadable from here: http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Quick+Start
    Oddly, any changes made via Eclipse editor would not stick; I had to
    open the file from Finder and make the additions in order to save them.

    Upon selecting New - WebObjects Maven Application, I get an Unhandled
    Event Loop exception with the following trace:

    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/maven/ide/eclipse/Messages
    at
    org
    .objectstyle
    .wolips
    .apple
    .mavenintegration
    .wizards
    .WOMavenDirectoriesComponent.<init>(WOMavenDirectoriesComponent.java:
    137)
    at
    org
    .objectstyle
    .wolips
    .apple
    .mavenintegration
    .wizards
    .MavenProjectWizardArtifactPage
    .createControl(MavenProjectWizardArtifactPage.java:239)
    at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.Wizard.createPageControls(Wizard.java:170)
    at
    org
    .eclipse
    .jface.wizard.WizardDialog.createPageControls(WizardDialog.java:669)
    at
    org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.createContents(WizardDialog.java:
    543)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:431)
    at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.create(Dialog.java:1089)
    at
    org
    .eclipse
    .ui
    .internal
    .actions.NewWizardShortcutAction.run(NewWizardShortcutAction.java:122)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:498)
    at
    org
    .eclipse
    .jface
    .action
    .ActionContributionItem
    .handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:583)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access
    $2(ActionContributionItem.java:500)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem
    $5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1561)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1585)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1570)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:1360)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3474)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3064)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2382)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2346)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2198)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:493)
    at
    org
    .eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:
    288)
    at
    org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:
    488)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at
    org
    .eclipse
    .ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:
    113)
    at
    org
    .eclipse
    .equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:193)
    at
    org
    .eclipse
    .core
    .runtime
    .internal
    .adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    at
    org
    .eclipse
    .core
    .runtime
    .internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    at
    org
    .eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
    382)
    at
    org
    .eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
    179)
    at
    sun
    .reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:
    39)
    at
    sun
    .reflect
    .DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:
    25)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:549)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)

    It seems from the various tutorials regarding maven use with wolips,
    etc that there are basically two paths of using maven for wo
    development: one using the older plug ins, and one using the new apple
    maven support plug in. It's not clear to me where the overlap is, or
    if there is any. So, are there any dependencies between these two
    methods of using Maven? In the first case, it's not clear as to how to
    add the archetype into your repository. In the second case, not sure
    if there's any changes required to settings.xml. Any clarity regarding
    these previous questions is appreciated. Thanks.

    Bill