Re: Hotness (was: ...)

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 08:11:32 EDT

    > Hotness, now nightly, introduces some patches to Eclipse's build
    > ordering to cope with the new framework container.
    >
    > I need to figure out some way to make this compatible with my master
    > build.xml's build ordering algorithm - which currently uses the
    > project
    > names in the .classpath files to calculate which order the child
    > build.xml files should be called in.
    >
    > How stable is the format of the entries in the .classpath file?

    There are a couple of things going on here ... There are actually two
    orderings happening. At the initial conversion, we shuffle into your
    stuff, wonder stuff, system stuff. At runtime and build time, we also
    resort your frameworks to try and roughly maintain this same ordering.

    The problem here is that each framework stands on its own now as its
    own classpath library with its own dependencies. Eclipse normally
    does a depth-first enumeration of dependencies, which can end up
    getting WO above Wonder, which means that you can't override NSArray
    in Wonder. I believe WOLips actually wants a breadth-first
    enumeration of frameworks instead, which is what our classpath
    reordering attempts to do (i say attempts because it's actually kind
    of tricky -- by the time we get the classpath for runtime, it's
    already all flattened, so we have to guess where they came from and
    try to reorder them accordingly).

    So if you're asking how stable the actual format in the classpath file
    is, I would say "i have no plans to change it". If you're asking,
    though, "how stable is the order itself", it will always reorder when
    you launch and when it generates the deployment classpath files (using
    the same code to keep them matched up).

    ms