Re: ClassPath Order (NewHotness)

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 06:25:21 EDT

    >>> If I add ERExtensions to a project and push it above WebObjects,
    >>> it still tells me that NSArray is not generic. However, if I just
    >>> add ERExtensions as Projects (because I have them linked to my
    >>> workspace), and push the projects above WO Frameworks, the
    >>> ERExtensions generics NSArray, etc are picked up and errors go
    >>> away ......
    >> Hmm .. if you push ERExtensions framework up above WOOgnl, does it
    >> fix the problem? This is a tricky thing and related to the depth
    >> first vs breadth first stuff. If WOOgnl depends on WO, then WO
    >> will end up loading (transitively) in eclipse before ERX, and
    >> therefore will not be generic.
    >
    > Perhaps you could fix this by always appending transitive
    > dependencies (as a set) to the end of the list.
    Not sure if you mean at launch time or pre-launch-time. If it's pre-
    launch, then we also have to maintain that list all the time (which is
    kind of tricky -- is it there because ou added it or is it there
    because it was a transitive dep -- if it's transitive, then we need to
    only remove it if it's gone from all the frameworks that contain it
    recursively). If it's launch time, this is sort of tricky because
    Eclipse constructs the flattened list of jars and folders for us, so
    we "lose" the original frameworks by this time. I'm considering
    rewriting eclipse's classpath "flattening" to suit our needs, but
    there are a lot of benefits to playing nicely and not redefining low
    level constructs liek this (for instance, launching things as java
    apps vs wo apps would have different runtime classpaths, which is
    pretty confusing)

    ms