inter-instance communication ?

From: Gavin Eadie (gavi..mich.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2008 - 18:15:31 EDT

    I have a need to communicate small amounts of data between application
    instances (some on the same machine, some on others), enough for them
    to make a shared decision about which one is going to be 'master'. I
    looked at the Wonder default and jGroups implementations of remote
    notifications, but I believe that they have the goal of sync'ing
    models, which I don't need to do.

    The shared info is dynamic (for example, if the master instance gets
    in trouble, I want another to become the new master). I can think of
    a few ways to do this: I could set up my own multicast chit-chat, I
    could put the data in question in a database, I could use a networked
    file, ...), but I thought I'd ask whether Wonder, with its extensive
    coverage had some capability that would facilitate this .. Gavin