Re: Moving from Subversive to Subclipse (Was Re: Eclipse 3.4.1)

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 15:47:59 EDT

    On Oct 20, 2008, at 12:34 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

    > On 21/10/2008, at 5:50 AM, Chuck Hill wrote:

    >>> Everyone else on my team is still using Subclipse, I was just
    >>> trialling Subversive. Had I remembered that last night I would
    >>> not have had to rebuild my workspace. I think I will go back
    >>> after this New Hotness stuff gets settled in. Subclipse "just
    >>> works".
    >>
    >> For anyone else who want to do this:
    >> - Project - Team - Disconnect, keep the meta data
    >> - uninstall all the bits of Subversive, wave bye-bye
    >> - install Subclipse 1.4 version from update site http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.4.x
    >> - install svn client 1.5.3 from http://homepage.mac.com/martinott/Subversion-1.5.3.pkg.zip
    >
    > or (using macports)
    > $ sudo port -d selfupdate
    > #if you've already got a previous version
    > $ sudo port -R upgrade subversion
    > #else
    > $ sudo port install subversion
    >
    >> - Project - Team - Share for each project. Subclipse will detect
    >> and use the existing svn metadata.
    >
    > The only annoyance I have with subversive at the moment is that when
    > I've got the commit window open and I ctr-click on an item to
    > compare with previous it opens the comparison behind the dialogue -
    > which can't be scrolled being behind the dialogue.
    >
    > What are you liking about Subclipse?

    It is dead easy to install and upgrade. It "just works", no need for
    two update sites and mixing and matching versions until you find the
    magic working combination. It does not corrupt my workspace when I
    upgrade from Eclipse 3.3 to 3.4. Did I mention that it just works?

    Each has a few minor advantages in features over the other. I have
    used both quite a bit and don't find one compelling over the other.
    Given that, I will opt for ease of install and maintenance.

    Chuck

    --
    Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development