Re: builds conditional on version?

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 12:52:40 EDT

    > Has anyone investigated this in the past? It seems that Project
    > Wonder assumes things about the version of WO you are using (and I
    > know I am massively simplifying the situation here, as I know and
    > appreiate that much has been done to make things work). But this
    > might just be a losing game.
    Yes, it depends on WO 5.3 or 5.4. I don't really know of any way to
    produce a single build ... We're always open to patches to build
    files, though as long it doesn't break anything.

    > It seems that it should be possible to have the build system do
    > different things based on the WO version and the Project Wonder
    > version.
    I don't know how you would do this, really. It switches right now
    based on a configuration option. I suppose you could somehow write a
    shell script or something above the build that looks for some flag and
    chooses the right flag to pass in, but I'm not exactly sure what you
    would key off of.

    > The downside is that if we say it works with 3 versions of that and
    > 3 versions of that, there are 9 things to test. And we also have a
    > "internal eclipse build" and an ant build that creates two further
    > configurations. So, that may be 18. On the other hand, that level of
    > complexity exists right now. It is just pushed off to the user to
    > deal with....
    Technically you still need to test against all of these ... 5.3 and
    5.4 are fundamentally different, so just getting a single build
    doesn't really mean anything, because the runtime has differences.

    WOOGNL is really the big problem child at the moment. Apple decided
    to make changes to 5.4 that break backwards compatibility at an API
    level and it's actually impossible produce a class file that will
    build under both for WOOGNL (the class's package changed, which makes
    it explode). WOOGNL does some crazy stuff with class file
    organization to try to minimize the effort required to switch, but it
    does fundamentally require a switch. I don't really know of any way
    to fix this one save writing some nasty custom plugin that can perform
    eclipse actions when it detects WO versions.

    ms