Re: How long before nightly becomes stable?

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2008 - 10:21:27 EDT

    >>> is all that's needed to make it possible for someone like me to
    >>> use the new build file. I only had to use these attribute in two
    >>> or three places to get the build working. Couldn't this be the
    >>> default?
    >> If you want to deviate from the standard, you can do exactly what
    >> you're doing. The standard is the standard, though, and we will
    >> not support alternatives.
    >
    > Would it be so bad to have attributes/properties for sources.dir and
    > libraries.dir?
    I shouldn't say "we" by the way, since I can only speak for my own
    commits, but I'm not going to add UI for additional ways of doing
    things. The recommended project layout is Sources/Libraries. I know
    this is a strict policy, and many people may disagree with it, but the
    tools can get much better and easier to use by removing incidental
    choices. For example, all this junk about flattening and localized
    resources exists ONLY because we continue to support alternative
    project layouts. If The Word is cast down that we will not support
    anything but this layout, I can make the tools much better. I could
    take as an assumption that Resources are only inside of the Resources
    folder and much more easily write some additional tools. As it
    stands, you have to evaluate patternsets to determine this, and it's a
    pain in the butt, and there are tools that I'd like to write that I
    don't because of that. The platform suffers because of choice.

    So if you want to do something different than we recommend, it's
    possible (for now), but it is going to be a little painful. This will
    only get more painful going forward.

    ms